Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Well, there's good news and there's bad news...

Preface to the good news:
We have been trying to get private health insurance since our BYU health insurance lapsed January 5th. It has been a huge headache and more of an annoyance than I really imagined possible, and we are still in the process of being reviewed. Because we have been among the uninsured, I haven't been able to take Reed to his two month doctor appointment.

Good news:
We found out on Friday that Reed got accepted into the Medicaid program! So though Ryan and I are still uninsured, at least Reed is covered. I called the doctor this morning and was able to get in this afternoon. We have a new doctor, and I love him--he is great.

And now the bad news:
Head circumference: 40.4 cm (50th percentile) (this is actually still good news)
Length: 22 in. (20th percentile) (still pretty good news)
Weight: 8 lbs. 13 oz. (Less than 5th percentile) (this is the bad news)


Diagnosis? "Failure to thrive" (also part of the bad news). I wish it wasn't called failure to thrive. I might as well wear a big flashing sign that says "failure as a mom." Ryan says it's not my fault (and so does the doctor), but if you heard your baby was failing to thrive, what would you think? We all know why he is small: he isn't getting enough milk. and who provides him with said milk? Me. Sorry to subject you to my pity party...I promise I'm not so gloomy all the time.


Anyway, the doctor referred us to La Leche League, and we have a follow-up appointment with the doctor next week to see if Mr. Failure to Thrive has started thriving at all by then. Hopefully we will have better news for you then.




Reed's skinny legs and battle wounds from vaccinations. I do find it kind of ironic that we have a skinny baby because--let's be honest--Ryan and I aren't exactly supermodels...

9 comments:

Mike and Nicole said...

Reed is such a cute little guy! Don't get down on yourself with the whole "failure to thrive" label. It's way more common than you think. By the time Morgan was a month was acting like she was starving and she was. Unfortunately, I didn't figure that out until she was 4 months. I got pretty depressed about it because I felt like the only person who couldn't breastfeed their child. My two older sisters never had that problem, they even had more to spare. Since then i have met many people with the same problem or similar. So, I hope everything works out!

Traci M said...

My little girl falls under the 5th percentile as well (actually, her stats are quite similar all around). And she's doing okay. Good luck with breastfeeding. I know it can be pretty frustrating sometimes. My mom had to bottle feed all her babies because she couldn't produce enough milk (and we turned out okay!). I'm sure everything will work out one way or another.

Grace said...

Oh...I'm so sorry. I've seen you in action tho, your are an AWESOME mommy!

Kim and Devin said...

Oh Megan, You are a great mom. Don't feel bad at all. Whatever you need to do for your little man, DO IT and don't feel bad about it. He is such a doll though. Let's hear it for good news next week!

Mandi said...

Meg, I am so sorry. You're an awesome mom. Don't get down on yourself. (easier said than done...I know) But you are great! So everything will work out.

Kris and Brett said...

We went through the exact same thing with Sadie...at two months she was only 9 lb and they were very worried considering she was 8 lb 7oz at birth. We went for weekly visits until she was three months...we tried everything. At first they thought it was my milk (nursing every two hours was the worst) but after two weeks we got her on medicine for pretty bad acid reflux and that made the difference. She started eating better and we were all a lot happier. She is finally 'thriving' but is still only in the 10th percentile for weight (and 75th for everything else).

It's a frustrating road, but everything will be ok. If you ever need to talk, give me call...

Heather and Spencer said...

I had nursing issues with my little guy. After we brought him home from the hospital, he decided to stop latching on correctly. The sescond night home he cried all night! We took him in to the Dr the following day and come to find out I was starving my baby...who knew? He was put on a strict feeding schedule with me pumping (to measure the amount he was getting) every hour just to get him enough milk. He gained all the weight he lost back very quickly! I then worked with a lactation consultant for a couple months to get him off the bottle and back nursing again...I think the fact that your Dr recommended the La Leche League is awesome! I am sure they will be able to help you out! Good luck and know that you are not a bad mom, it looks like there are a lot of other people who have felt the same way at one point or another

The Waldram Family said...

This is Lauren Van Oostendorp, I knew Ryan from Simi Valley. I am so sorry to hear about your little guy. I am currently a Health Major at UVU, and get to hear about some excellent programs that Utah has set up for Moms and babies. Have you looked into Baby your Baby and WIC? I have had some friends do internships there and there are such great benefits...

Hope all goes well!

Lauren

S.Miles said...

welcome to the guilt filled world we call motherhood. isnt it a blast? ;)