Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful for thankfulness among other things

I know this is not a very original post idea around this time of year but I am thinking about it so here goes.

I am thankful that we live in a society that takes the time to be thankful for things. There are an awful lot of bad things in the world but we can still see some good things. I am grateful to be surrounded by good people that make me want to be better. I must admit I have never been a huge fan of Thanksgiving (the holiday not the action). It always started with a Turkey Bowl football game and Slurpees afterwards. The Slurpees were usually a highlight for me. The rest was a whole bunch of cleaning up for the people coming over and cleaning up after they leave. Its not a good way to look at it but it was my way of looking at it as a kid. As I have matured (don't laugh) I have come to appreciate it more. I have always liked the food and especially pie part of Thanksgiving but now I realize more the true nature of the holiday. We shouldn't need a special day to be thankful but we do. I am grateful for this day to remember and to be together.

I am thankful to my savior Jesus Christ. His sacrifice allows me to repent and be better. Without the ability to be forgiven he provided through his atonement my life would be meaningless.

I am also grateful for Megan. She does so much for me and I love her dearly. She is my best friend and the one person I trust with everything. She makes me a better person.

I am grateful for Reed. He brings so much love and kindness into our home. He is a very tender child. We can see that already. I love playing with Reed and seeing him process the world around him. He has changed every aspect for my life for the better, except maybe the being able to listen to sunday school lessons aspect. Only six months til nursery.

I am grateful for our family. Megan and I both have great parents and siblings. We rely on them for so much. They are so giving and supportive. I would like to send a special shout out to Janelle, my sister. Janelle has always been very special to me. For those who didn't know me in junior high, thank goodness. I was a mess and it was horrible. Janelle was one of the few bright spots in my life back then. She was in high school herself and instead of being comletely self absorbed like most high schoolers she was only partly self absorbed and took the time to make sure I was okay and minimize the pain of junior high. I love her for that and everything else she has done for me through the years.

On a less serious note I am thankful for technology that allows me to feed my need for education. I am thankful for google's search engine. I am thankful that I can better myself everyday.

I hope everyone has a good holiday and carries the spirit of thanksgiving through the rest of the year.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Ryan forgot to mention that he is grateful for Tony Hawk Pro Skater on the original playstation. He and Tony are basically BFFs :)

Steve and Janelle said...

Don't make me cry...it's not nice!