Saturday, November 13, 2010

A thrilling tale of a treacherous ride. (Kind of)

Grandma and Grandpa came to visit us (because who wouldn't want to come visit such cute boys??).

While they were here, we wanted to do something fun with them. But they've visited us once before and we had pretty much covered all of the exciting Cedar City destinations during that trip. So we decided to go somewhere new...

It was somewhere cold...

And we had to drive through snow to get there...

Where was it?

 Panguitch Lake.

It turned out to be freezing cold at Panguitch Lake. I don't think it would have been so bad if not for the ridiculously ice-cold wind that was blowing. So we didn't actually stay there very long. But it was very pretty, at least.
Notice the fishing rod in the bottom right corner of the picture? Don't worry, there were just two guys fishing from inside of their car at the boat launch site. They'd also propped a few fishing poles outside in the rocks. Weird, but understandable--it was so cold.

Ryan's mom, Asher, and I hid out in the car for a little bit while Reed, Ryan, and Grandpa looked around. And, after about fifteen minutes, we decided to go.

 The ride on the way home started out fun (ish)...

 ...but quickly deteriorated as Reed decided that the only way he would be happy on the way home was if Ryan or I sang to him. Constantly. And he had to choose every song, which we then had to sing--even if he chose "Once There Was a Snowman" seven times in a row.

Oh, and then it started to snow.

Did I mention that we were at an elevation of about 11,000 feet? And had to drive home via the mountain-switchback roads that lead down from Brian Head? And that in places the fog was so bad that we couldn't see more than ten feet in front of us? And at many points in our drive our car decided it didn't want to turn the way Ryan turned the wheel? Yeah, that was interesting. Let's just say the ride home involved a lot of prayers--including prayers that Reed would stop crying (which he did) and that Asher would continue sleeping (which he did). When we finally made it down the mountain (good job Ryan!), we were all quite relieved. And then we got to see about ten deer just a few feet off the road. Then three deer decided to saunter across the road, which was pretty sweet. (It wouldn't have been so sweet if they crossed the road in the snowy, treacherous parts...that would have been terrifying).

Anyway, we got home and fed Asher (who was amazing during the entire trip).

(And he's really cute)

And the boys made fried wontons for us.There's nothing quite like fried foods to comfort you after a scary drive down a snow-covered mountain.

 Other things we did while Grandma and Grandpa were here included a lot of cuddling:

And a little early birthday shopping for Reed, who scored with a Thomas the Train engine and track and a new wagon from Grandma and Grandpa

Thanks for visiting us, Grandma and Grandpa, and we promise not to take you on any perilous drives should you decide to visit again (though we'll understand if you avoid us during the winter months...)

1 comment:

Mandi said...

Sounds fun...yet scary. I would have been freaked out by that drive. Your boys are so cute as usual!