Friday, April 1, 2011

Sometimes it helps to picture him like this.

 Reed is generally a very good boy.


He is usually quite obedient and, overall, a great helper. He's shy, so he doesn't run off when we're in public. He's timid, so he doesn't try to climb super high or jump off really high things. He is calm for a two and half year old.


But every once in a while, Crazy Reed comes to the forefront. Crazy Reed is not nearly as pleasant as Regular Reed. Crazy Reed makes me a little crazy, too. When Crazy Reed comes around, I have to grit my teeth and try to remember this Reed:


Today, after story time, we made a pit stop at the splash pad to see the water for a minute. We couldn't stay long because Asher needed to eat. When it was time to go, Reed was a little upset, but overall took it well. When we got to the parking lot, though, and I tried to hold his hand, he started running away--right into the parking lot. I chased and caught him and grabbed his little hand again. He immediately wiggled out of my grasp and started running again. So this time, I grabbed his arm (our family's compromise: you can hold our hand or we will hold your whole arm!). He wiggled, couldn't get free, so threw himself down on the ground. Remember how we were in the parking lot? Yeah, throwing himself down wasn't the best idea. He started screaming because he'd slammed his own head into the pavement. He refused to get up. So I hauled him off the ground (keep in mind that this is all happening one-handed because I am holding Asher in my other arm--and Asher isn't in a car seat), and carry him, Asher, and the diaper bag to the car.

When we finally got to the car, Reed was still screaming. An older man walked by and tried to say hello to my screaming child, then looked at me and said, "He's not so happy, is he?" I'd have to concur. Reed continued to scream the entire way home and, upon arriving home, informed me, "I don't need a nap Mommy."

For some reason, I didn't believe him. 


Here's to hoping Regular Reed is the one who wakes up from the nap.


(Super random side note: We bought this suit last year at Target on clearance and have been anxiously awaiting the day it would fit. The inaugural wear was last Sunday and, I must say, he looked quite dashing.)

4 comments:

Christian said...

That suit is awesome!

redstarmama said...

Crazy Reed and Evil Greer would get along swimmingly, I think. Althoough I hope they never have cause to meet...

Mandi said...

I can't get over how smashing he is in that suit! What a cute little guy in that suit. But sorry about the meltdown, that sounds like definitely no fun at all. Here's to hoping Crazy Reed doesn't come out too often.

Nick, Lynnie, & Cole said...

the suit really is awesome, he looks like such a stud.