Sunday, May 8, 2011

Cruise! Day 3 (Cabo San Lucas)

We arrived in Cabo San Lucas early Tuesday morning. We had breakfast, then went to get our tender numbers (a tender number basically tells you what order you will get off the boat in--you had to ride smaller boats into Cabo's marina). We had a little time to kill while the boat got authorization for people to go into Cabo, so we went to the front of the boat to check out the view:

 Me, another cruise ship, and Cabo San Lucas. A nice trio, I think.

I know, my sunglasses are a little Terminator-esque. They're from Dollar Tree because I forgot my other Dollar Tree sunglasses that actually look a little better. What can I say, I've never found a pair of sunglasses that I look semi-okay in.

Finally, we were approved to go ashore--so we boarded our little tender boat and off we went. It was kind of exciting to leave the boat, because it was the first time we'd been far enough away from it to take a picture of the entire boat:
 Seriously, how does something that big float?

Arriving in Cabo was a little overwhelming. We were greeted by a steady stream of people trying to sell us tours, taxi drivers, boat rides, annoying whistling turtle necklaces, and other wares. Eventually, though, we made it to a flea market., where we found a replica of the largest marlin ever caught:
 I think they were exaggerating the size a little.

After shopping and getting our bearings for a little while, we took a taxi to a glass-blowing factory I'd read about. We didn't have a paid tour, but we got to watch them make a tiny horse and a goblet out of glass. They also let us try our hand at blowing glass:
See that molten hot lava-like substance (was that redundant?) on the end of the stick? Ryan's about to blow that thing up like a balloon.

At first, it's really hard to blow the glass--perhaps because you are forcing air into a semi-liquid semi-sold substance.I don't really know. But once you get it started, it keeps going and going....
 That bubble is made of glass. Seriously.

And then it pops! Which is a little shocking. The leftover glass is so fine and thin--it's really cool. Ryan caught a little of the magic on video:

After the glass blowing extravaganza, we walked back to the main area of town because we thought we would be able to find a taxi, but couldn't. At least we burned off a few calories in the process. We found a little hole-in-the-wall place that served ridiculously good food and ate lunch. Then, we decided to rent a water taxi and go see the famous "El Arco."

A water taxi. Small and a little rickety.

El Arco is the southernmost tip of Baja California. There is a beautiful natural rock arch there. It's also cool because you can literally see where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortez--the water changes color.
 Ryan during the water taxi trip.

There also happens to be a colony of sea lions living there. Beside several we saw playing in the water, we were lucky to see this guy posing:
I thought it was a statue at first--but really, it's a real sea lion.

There  are two connected beaches at El Arco. The beach that connects to the Sea of Cortez is called "Lover's Beach"--the waves are quite calm and lots of people snorkel in the area. The other beach--the one that connects to the Pacific Ocean--is called "Divorce Beach." At Divorce Beach, the waves are so intense and the undertow so bad that you aren't even allowed to swim there.
Between Lover's Beach and Divorce Beach

Our water taxi dropped us off at Lover's Beach and told us he'd be back in an hour, so we decided to check things out a little bit. We found El Arco...
...and Ryan proceeded to crush it between his fingers.

Next, we found a crab on the beach. I've never seen a crab in real life, so you can imagine my excitement.
I would have named him, but the tide washed him away too quickly.

After that, we found some nice people to take our picture.
Right after this, a wave came and soaked us.

And then we found a cave that waves like to come into.

Our water taxi was about half an hour late picking us up and we were kind of a little worried he wouldn't come back. When he did come, we seriously had to drag ourselves/jump up into the boat out of the water, because there is no dock of any kind (really funny to watch...). When we got back to Cabo, we did a little more shopping, then took a tender boat back to our big boat.
That night, we went to a Family Friendly Comedy show (pretty funny), followed by a Prop Comedy show (fantastic). The Prop Comedy show was amazing--the comedian was hilarious and quite talented at his box tricks. 

Cabo Day 4 will have to be another post, because this is already a little novel-ish.


Hilary F. said...

I think Cabo was my favorite stop on our Mexican cruise! It was HOT and that made the water feel so good. We almost died trying to get back into our water taxi on lovers beach - Mike practically threw his sister into the boat. It's a favorite family memory.

Courtney B said...

Ooo I'm loving these posts! Makes me crave a cruise again haha! I'm so glad you guys got to go!!

Mandi said...

Sounds like fun Meg! Your pictures are all so beautiful. And I bet the glass making was way cool. But it totally makes me want to go on another cruise!!!

Kendra Goodrich said...

What a fun trip! I've always wanted to check out glass blowing since I was a girl. Lucky!

Heather and Spencer said...

Love Cabo...getting on and off the water taxis at Lovers Beach is crazy! You would think that with the amount of people that go to and from Lovers Beach they would build a dock or something less dangerous...I remember seeing people practically fall on/off those small boats and have to get dragged back onto the boats!