Monday, January 30, 2012

I love to eat.

You may remember my commitment to lose 10 pounds in 12 weeks (I don't blame you if you don't remember--it was in July, after all. I barely remember). And you may have noticed that I never posted a follow-up. Why? Because not only did I not lose 10 pounds, I gained 5 pounds. Looks like I dropped the ball a little bit on that one. Anyway, in the spirit of New Year's Resolutions, Ryan and I New Year's Resolved to re-join Weight Watchers and re-lose the weight we lost last year and subsequently re-gained. (I think the cruise was the beginning of the end for us.) It's been about 3 weeks now and, drumroll please, I have lost 5 pounds and Ryan has lost 16. Hooray for us!

I'm not writing this post because I want to be showered in congratulations--but seriously, feel free to congratulate us--but because I want to spread a little eating light love. I have a hard time trying new recipes that haven't been recommended to me by someone. But, as of late, we've been pushed into trying oodles of new recipes in our quest to eat a little lighter. I'm assuming other people have made a goal to lose weight or get in shape this year (anyone?), so I thought it would be friendly to share a few of my favorite light recipes. The best part of each of these recipes is that they don't even taste "light." So, without further ado, here they are (in no particular order):

Avgolemono (Lemony Chicken Soup)
 O.M.Gsh. This soup is fantastic. I may have licked my bowl clean. And, best of all, it was extremely easy to make.

  This soup has a little kick to it, but nothing too crazy. I really enjoyed the coconut undertones. And we made it in the same week as the Avgolemono, so I just made all the chicken at one in the crock pot, which saved a lot of time.


These quesadillas are quick. I substitute feta/mozzarella for the fontina--fontina is a little out of the price range I'm willing to spend on cheese--and spinach for escarole because there is not one store in a 50-mile radius that sells escarole.


This recipe requires kind of a lot of prep work--a lot of chopping of potatoes, mushrooms, and onions is involved. But it is definitely worth the effort. Tip: crumble your sausage into really small chunks, or it doesn't spread throughout the gratin well.


 The ratio of beef to mushroom falls heavily on the side of mushroom--but you don't notice the difference. If you don't have a food processor, though, I don't think you'll be able to grind the mushrooms finely enough.


I was a little skeptical of this one, but it came out fantastically. We had to bake the corn bread far longer than the recipe suggested--just a heads up.


 
Possibly my favorite light recipe of all time. We like to add chopped, cooked chicken to make it a little more substantial.

 It had me at pizza. And then bacon. Yummmmmm.


(All pictures and recipes from Cookinglight.com I really like them. And, if you want more, I post all the recipes we've tried and the recipes we plan to try on my pinterest board.)

2 comments:

Mandi said...

YOu are amazing! Good for you! Yippee. Tell me your trick. How do you not eat sweets. That is my biggest problem. I work out, eat pretty well, but love the sweets. HELP!!!

Brittany said...

Ooo those recipes do sound good. Especially that spicy thai soup. And congrats! You're doing much better than I am with that resolution.