Thursday, October 11, 2012

Messy

Honestly, I am not a very big fan of messy projects. I have to be in the right state of mind (one that includes a willingness to clean up very messy children and the remnants of their project). We don't often do extremely messy projects around here. But the boys love to paint. And as I was looking for ideas for school crafts one day I came across tin foil/Q-tip painting. I thought, "That would be fun. And it doesn't look too messy." So I decided to try it.

The project commenced innocently enough with both boys happily using their Q-tips to make patterns in the paint.

Then Reed thought it might be fun to paint his finger with his Q-tip.

And Asher followed suit, adding his own take on the idea: arm painting.

Reed responded by painting an "A" on his arm.

And since I was still giving him the red light, he proceeded to grab a sponge brush and use his hand to squeeze all the paint out--I think he liked how the paint felt when it oozed between his fingers. He did tell me he only wanted to get one hand covered in paint, though.

We were really having fun now. Asher smeared his hands in paint and squeezed them together.

Then Reed abandoned the "one hand clean" idea and just went for it. By this point, I realized that my not too messy project was going to be a huge mess. But since we were already in the middle of the project, I decided to see where it took us.

Asher accidentally (I think) painted his hair and chin. And he made a handprint on his arm without trying--see the fingers on his elbow?

Reed painted both his arms blue, then proceeded to paint his belly (by that point I put the camera away for fear of ruining it). I told him he looked like Blue Man Group, so naturally we had to watch Blue Man Group videos later so he could see what I meant. I really want to see Blue Man Group live.

Asher ended up just as messy as Reed. And though they were less than pleased when I had to scrub the paint off their bodies, they really enjoyed our painting project. Here's to a big mess.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh dear . . . my OCD is flaring up just looking at those pictures ;-) Looks like they had fun!

Mandi said...

WOW!!! You are one brave mama...don't know if I could do it. As fun as it looks like they had, thinking about this makes me cringe. Glad that they loved it though!! You're an amazing mom!!!