Saturday, March 23, 2013

St. Patrick's Day

I was excited when I realized that St. Patrick's Day came on a Sunday this year, because otherwise Ryan would have missed out on our St. Patrick's Day festivities. And no one wants to miss out on St. Patrick's Day (proof here and here).



I was a little behind this year on St. Patrick's prep (not that it requires a lot of prep--but I had done literally nothing until 10 p.m. the night before). Then I decided that we definitely needed to have cinnamon rolls on St. Patrick's morning and I was really behind. I found this Overnight Cinnamon Roll recipe from Our Best Bites and decided it was perfect--no morning spent in the kitchen for me! Then I finished making the dough and read the rest of the directions: I was supposed to let the dough rise for two hours, then use it to make the rolls, then put them in the fridge overnight. It was 11:00 p.m. already--no way I was going to be finishing cinnamon rolls at 1 a.m. Fail. So I did what anyone would do: I let the dough rise for about 4 hours until Lila woke up to eat, then put it in the fridge. The next morning, I let it come to room temperature again and used it to make the rolls. And guess what? They were still delicious. I put green glaze on them, which was a mistake: they looked way more delicious pre-green glaze.

After solving my cinnamon roll problem, Ryan and I went to bed so the leprechaun could come wreak the havoc he had planned. 

The next morning, Reed came running into our room, yelling, "There's a GREEN path! In MY ROOM!" We made him contain himself for about twenty minutes until Asher woke up--then we set out to see what the leprechaun had done.



We deduced that his starting point was the boys' bedroom window, which had been left open for cooling purposes. After a quick stop at their easel to write a note, he went to the bathroom...



...where he dyed the toilet water green, the trickster. Next, we followed his trail downstairs. It went straight to our leprechaun trap! And the trap had been tripped! Reed was much too nervous to open it, but luckily Asher was brave. 

Sadly, we were outwitted again. The leprechaun ate our lucky charms and took our coins and escaped from our trap; but he did leave us a little something: chocolate bars that look like $100 bills. 

Before the leprechaun left, he made a quick stop at the fridge...

...where he dyed the milk green...

 ...which was perfect to eat with the lucky charms the boys had while waiting for the cinnamon rolls. (By the way, I've misspelled "cinnamon" every time I've typed it in this post. Good thing I learn from my mistakes.)

 Later, we tried to get a picture of the kidlets, but Miss Lila wasn't having it.

So Daddy had to step in:

We rounded out our St. Patrick's Day with church, a fabulous corned beef/baked potato dinner, and lime sherbet slushes for dessert. Happy St. Patty's Day!

2 comments:

Nick, Lynnie, & Cole said...

I absolutely love your St Patty's traditions. Sounds like, as usual, you had a fabulous time this year!

Mandi Rolfe said...

I love that you do this! I bet your boys just absolutely love it. How fun :)