Monday, May 6, 2013

A Matter of Trust by Lis Wiehl {Book Review}



Mia Quinn is on the phone with her good friend and fellow County Prosecutor, Colleen, when Mia hears a loud noise and Colleen suddenly isn't responding. Mia realizes the sound she heard was a gunshot, calls 911, and rushes to Colleen's house. Colleen has been murdered. Soon, Mia is assigned to Colleen's murder case and has to juggle solving the case, caring for her two children, working with a detective who is swift to bend the rules, and piles of debt her late husband left her--all while hoping the killer isn't coming her way next.

Part of the reason I chose to review A Matter of Trust was that I knew it would be a quick read. I crossed my fingers that it wouldn't be too formulaic--sometimes I just have to roll my eyes at legal thrillers because, after a while, they all sound the same. I was happy to find, though, that A Matter of Trust contained enough interesting plot turns to keep me guessing while not being so over-the-top as to be unrealistic. When, at last, the killer was revealed I was truly surprised, which I appreciated.

When I reached the end of the book, I was kind of annoyed because I felt the book left a few ends not at all neatly tied. But, after looking on Lis Wiehl's website, I discovered A Matter of Trust is the first in a series of legal thrillers, all starring Mia Quinn (whose story, incidentally, based on Lis Wiehl's actual life). I am looking forward to reading more of the Mia Quinn series as they are released.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments: