Saturday, November 23, 2013

All Things Halloween

The boys were SO excited about Halloween this year. Reed was a Wild Kratt, Asher was a monkey, and Lila was a penguin. Asher tried his costume on two weeks before and loved the costume so much that he put it on at least once daily until Halloween! Reed did not have that luxury because I made his costume this year and was not super speedy in finishing it. Happily, I did finish the main part of Reed's costume in time for our first Halloween activity: Haunted Harvest at the Springs Preserve

Yeah, the lighting is no good. But this picture is one of two I took, so I'm posting it anyway!
Haunted Harvest was a lot of fun. The boys' favorite part, I think, were the skeleton crafts they got to make and the "Mad Science" show we watched, but we also got to do a little trick-or-treating, go to a petting zoo, go through a mini-maze, and play a few carnival games.

As I was trying to get everyone dressed for Haunted Harvest, I realized that Lila's costume was MIA (luckily it was located in time for Halloween), so she wore her ladybug pajamas. She made a very cute ladybug.


On real Halloween, Lila wore the same penguin costume Reed and Asher both wore when they were little--but I wanted to girl it up a little. My mom made these cute tiny shoes and I made a matching bow to put in the penguin's hair. Yes, she did look super cute.

Halloween happened to fall on a preschool day and Reed's cute preschool teacher planned a Halloween party. Reed had the best time at the party and still daily recites a little Halloween poem they learned!


Later that day, we went to the haunted house at the library. We had visited the library just the day before for a spooky puppet show that was amazing, so I was kind of expecting a lot. I was a little disappointed by the haunted house, but the boys still had a good time. After the library, we headed straight to our ward trunk-or-treat, where Ryan met up with us. We monster-mouthed our car again--honestly, it turned out better last time. Still cool, though, I think.

In the craziness of getting everyone ready, I forgot my camera. I know. I did manage to take a decent picture of the kids with my phone, though. Lila did require a little bribery, but, well, you do what you have to do.



No one really got Ryan's costume, but I had to include it because I loved it. He's a high school football player who has decided to play at BYU.

And I'm awesome, so I wrote him a scholarship offer letter. And signed Bronco Mendenhall's name. Dedication is my middle name.





After trunk-or-treat (during which we got two full buckets of candy!) it was time to trick or treat! The boys were ridiculously cute and so excited. Ryan and I mostly watched from the curb with Lila (though we did accompany them to several doors, too), and got to see cuteness like this:

Miss Lila was such a good sport.

Especially once we took her hat off.


And, thankfully, I thought to stick the baby carrier in the stroller, so once she got fussy I just strapped her too me and she was once again happy as could be. Reed was very excited because we got to go trick-or-treating at his teacher's house (she is practically a rock star around here!). Ashie was excited because at one point Reed and Ryan went to a scary looking haunted house and while they were inside I let Ashie sneak a treat. And took a terrible but cute picture.




We ended the night with ridiculous amounts of candy--we didn't trick-or-treat for that long, but people were very, very generous. And, after a quick stop at Sonic for 50 cent corn dogs, we went home and Ryan and the boys promptly sorted the candy while I put Lila to bed.

I cam downstairs after putting Lila down and was shocked at the amount of candy on the table.

Then Ryan showed me the separate almost full bucket of only chocolate treats. What?!

And don't worry, Asher's mouth is full in every picture I took.

See?

 We let each boy choose a treat and Reed chose (what else?) Nerns. Because his nickname Nern. And, as he said, there was only one box of Nerns and he wanted to be sure he was the one who ate it. Well played.
And that was our Halloween!

1 comment:

Mandi Rolfe said...

Sounds like a super fun Halloween! Your kids are seriously so adorable! I have the best nieces and nephews in the world. :) And I love that Asher is eating a treat in every single picture!