Sunday, January 5, 2014

10 Minutes of My Day

I've realized lately that Lila kind of gets the shaft for one-on-one time. Why? Because I never have her one-on-one. Someone else is always around. And she is really great at playing on her own and doing her own thing. She often crawls to me to kind of "check in," then goes to back to playing. Sometimes she gets grumpy and crawls to me to be held, but I am almost always doing something else while I hold her.

One of my resolutions for the new year is to spend meaningful time with each of my children every day. The meaningful time doesn't have a time minimum or maximum and there is no defined activity--we can do anything, for five minutes or an hour. I want to slow down and not be so worried about getting through the day that at the end of the day I can't even remember how the day went.

Well, yesterday, I found myself alone with Lila while the boys were out with Ryan. A blanket was nearby so I put it on her, then she pulled it off and I yelled, "Peek-a-boo!" She cracked up. We continued for almost ten minutes, with Lila dying laughing every single time. Then today, I found myself and Lila alone while Asher napped and Reed did quiet time. And I sat down next to her and we played. We have this toy piggy bank that has a slot on top for coins and a door on the side that you can open to get the coins (which are large and therefore non-chokeable) out of the bank. The door on the side is kind of tricky to open. Lila was trying to open the door and get the coins out--but each time she finally got the door open, she would reach in, lose her grip on the door, and end up closing the door accidentally. I watched her, cheering her on, until at last she was victorious--she got a coin out! She was so determined and I was so proud of her when she accomplished the task at hand. After the initial coin, the method clicked for her and she did it over and over again, handing me coins as she got them out and beaming each time she gave me a new coin. I loved watching her and she was so excited that I was seeing what she was doing.

I hope I can spend less time this year on my phone or cleaning and more time living in the moment. Because the ten minutes I enjoyed today? They were amazing.


3 comments:

Ashleigh Cramer said...

Sweet moments are my favorite.

AnnaSchu said...

This touched my heart!

Mandi Rolfe said...

Awe…how sweet. :)