Saturday, January 11, 2014

You Are His Child


Miss Lila Jae has had a rough week. A combination of a cough, a few teeth coming in, and possibly a few belly issues have taken away her sparkle. She hasn't been sleeping well, at all. And when she is awake, she has to be held almost constantly--and not only held, but held while standing up. The poor baby is just not herself.

A few days ago, she woke up twenty minutes into her nap. I waited for a minute to see if she'd settle back down and go back to sleep--but soon she was screaming. She is not the type to fall asleep being rocked or held, but I decided to try anyway; she certainly wasn't sleeping as it was. I had to rock and walk for several minutes, but finally she stopped screaming. She was still awake, but just laying peacefully in my arms, looking up at me. Holding her was such a sweet moment, but I felt so sad for her that she was feeling so poorly. I started singing primary songs to her to see if she would fall back to sleep.

I've sung a lot of primary songs to my three babies over the years, and I've found that I know the words so well that while I sing I often find my mind wandering to other things and don't really pay attention to the lyrics. That day was the same--until I started singing A Child's Prayer:

1. Heavenly Father, are you really there?

And do you hear and answer ev'ry child's prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away,
But I feel it close around me as I pray.
Heavenly Father, I remember now
Something that Jesus told disciples long ago:
"Suffer the children to come to me."
Father, in prayer I'm coming now to thee.

2. Pray, he is there;
Speak, he is list'ning.
You are his child;
His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayer;
He loves the children.
Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heav'n
  1. (Words and music: Janice Kapp Perry, b. 1938
    (c) 1984 by Janice Kapp Perry. from lds.org)
After halfway paying attention through the first verse, I was surprised when the third line of the second verse seemed to leap out at me. "You are his child." I was holding in my arms my sweet baby--but she's not just mine. She is a daughter of God, just as I am a daughter of God, her brothers are sons of God, and we are all children of God. She is mine--and His. I was so full of love for her in that moment and so grateful to be her earthly mother, so determined to teach her about her Heavenly Father. I want my children to know they are children of a literal Father in Heaven, who loves them even more than I do--a love which is incomprehensible and unending. I hope that I can be an example to them, to point them to Him. 

I'm so grateful for moments like these, when heaven seems near enough to touch.

2 comments:

Sheena said...

Wonderful post Megan. Brought tears to my eyes. I LOVE that song and sing it so often to myself but never really put the emphasis on that line either. I think we ALL need that reminder sometimes that we are His children. Thanks for sharing!
...And baby snuggles are such a little piece of heaven!

Mandi Rolfe said...

First, love love love that pic of sweet Lila! Second, I'm so sorry that precious girl is not feeling well. And third, what beautiful thoughts. Love ya!