Saturday, May 17, 2014

Beach + Other California Goodness

Our post-tax trip was exactly what we needed. In addition to Easter, we....

...went shopping where Ryan spoiled me and where I bought more clothes than I have at one time since high school. Not joking. These clothes, though, were much needed--some of my current clothes did date back to high school, and the large majority were at least five years old. After shopping, we went to an awesome park by the beach.

The kids hadn't seen Ryan much at all for a month and were PUMPED to be together. Also, don't mind Lila eating that bar.
...went on a date! We went out to our favorite Simi food place, The Hat, did a little more shopping, then went to our engagement beach (Zuma). Being at the beach at night used to freak me out a little, but this time I loved it--it was so peaceful. 


(we also took this ridiculously terrible selfie on our date. I'm not above posting embarrassing pictures of myself on the internet.)

...went on a hike! The hike was beautiful, but if I were being honest I'd tell you it wasn't our best hike to date. It was very steep for a very long time, then when we stopped to rest Ashie fell off the low tree branch he was sitting on and landed in a bush. He'd been complaining about the hike starting at about the two minute mark, so we decided it was time to turn around! At least the view was nice. After the hike, we made an IKEA pilgrimage. Our main item we were searching for was a small desk, which we found (hooray). We also found many, many other awesome items to come home with us, including (of course) Mjolk Choklad.




...went to a museum with Ryan's parents and Janelle's family, mainly to see the awkward family photos display. It was hilarious, and we made the kids reenact our favorite picture. Afterward, we went to Third Street, then made our way to the pier. We stopped for ice cream at McDonald's, where Lila stole the majority of Steve's sundae, I think.


...went to the beach! Lila loved playing in the sand when we visited in December. This time, though, she hated it. I set her down with her feet in the sand and she immediately started crying and lifted one leg in the air. I think she would have lifted both legs at the same time if she could! She kept crying while trying to play with a toy and keep her foot up. Hilarious. After a few minutes, I saved her and put her back on the blanket. The sand was at least an effective baby gate! The boys loved the beach. We spent a long time by the water, running away from waves and wading, then an equally long time playing in the sand. The boys built a pretty sweet sand village with the help of the girls, complete with a moat.  And it was a beautiful beach day!









No comments: