Sunday, August 3, 2014

HF5K 2014

Ryan's family plans and holds their own family 5K every year during Fourth of July weekend. One couple is assigned to be in charge of the 5K each year, and this year was ours. This year also happened to be tenth anniversary of the 5K, which was kind of a big deal.

We faced a few hiccups, but overall, I think the 5K went well. Our shirts were awesome (seriously, they were), the course was decent, and everyone had fun spending time together, which is the really important part. We invited my parents to make the trek to California with us so my dad could be our motivational speaker--and he was amazing. He and Reed walked the 5K together and a little ways into the course Reed told my dad, "Grandpa, we can do this!" My dad agreed, and Reed responded, "Just like you said in your talk!" Reed actually listened and understood, which made me feel so proud! He and my dad were the tail enders of the race and I gave Reed the option of taking a shortcut at the end--but he wanted to finish the entire real course. He's so cool. One last Reed race story. At one point, Reed asked my dad how much farther they had. My dad said they were about halfway. Reed thought for a minute, then said, "I don't think Asher really did a medium amount." True.

Asher, on the other hand, wanted to do a "medium amount" of the race with my mom. We soon learned that a medium amount was about five minutes of walking, followed by a beeline to the table that had the post-race breakfast.  One last Reed race story. At one point, Reed asked my dad how much farther they had. My dad said they were about halfway. Reed thought for a minute, then said, "I don't think Asher really did a medium amount." True.

Lila was just happy to be wearing matching shirts. 

We had a good day.
My dad speaking.
Jae being Jae.


Starting line.

Finishing the full course.
They did it!
Asher's award: best medium amount racer.
Reed's award: Best caboose. Apparently I didn't get a picture of Lila, but she was awarded "best leggings"

The race group. Go Hamblys!

No comments: