Saturday, January 17, 2015

The D

My parents have lived on the opposite side of the "D" in St. George for 13.5 years. Guess how many times I've been to the D?  Zero. We decided to change that while we were in St. George. The air was kind of chilly, and there was a little snow on the ground, but the hike was beautiful and I think everyone had a good time.

Also, I got to try out my new hiking shoes, and they were fantastic.

The ascent was kind of steep and quite rocky, so reaching the top of the mountain/hill took a little time. And, of course, as soon as we got to the top Reed fell and bloodied his lip. He was really upset--it must have hurt a lot, because usually he's able to calm down much sooner--and almost decided to turn back with me. But, as we started walking away, he decided to soldier through and reach the D. And by soldier through I mean ride on Ryan's shoulders.


At that point, we were pretty sure we were close to the D. I pulled up a map on my phone and saw that we were essentially on top of the D--which the kids (and I) thought was super cool.


We walked up to the edge and there the D was! The D actually lit up right as we got to it, which was kind of exciting. I'm pretty sure it lit up just for us. My contingency of the group decided to go back down the mountain at that point while the others hiked to the other side to check if they could see Grandma and Grandpa's house. (They could). I thought only Reed and I were going to start down, but the light was rapidly fading so we were joined by Grandma, Asher, Grace, Kody, and Finn.   Poor Grandma carried Asher most of the way down.





Later, Kody gave Reed and Asher "Nevada rocks" (rocks shaped like Nevada) he'd found, and Asher gave Kody a few BBs he'd found so, despite injury, the hike was a success after all.

No comments: