Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A Day in Our Life

I’ve read a few “day in the life” blog posts lately, which has, of course, spurred me to write my own! Fun fact: I started a post like this when Lila was tiny—but the day went totally off the rails ( she wouldn’t sleep, spent most of the day crying, all kinds of havoc was wreaked by the boys) so I gave up and promptly forgot about it! Now, though, I wish I had documented the day in all it’s crazy madness. I think I will love looking back on this day in my life with kids ages 6, 4, and 2 when I have kids ages 16, 14, and 12. So here goes!

April 14, 2015
6:25 a.m.: My alarm goes off and I quickly turn it off because Ryan is still sleeping, which is weird for him during busy season! I slip out of bed, trying not to wake him up, and go sit on the edge of the tub to read my scriptures. Writing about this seating arrangement now makes me question my choice of comfortable places to read. Anyway, I’ve been following this Instagram account this year (@newtestament365) that posts a daily reading selection and a question to ponder. I’ve loved studying the scriptures this way and have learned so much from others’ comments and as I’ve pondered to be able to write my own comment. After I’m done studying, I get up to go get ready to exercise—and hear Lila yelling, “MOMMMMMMMMYYYYY!” It’s early for her, and sometimes she’ll go back to sleep if I go in and tell her to (or at least lay quietly for another 20 or so minutes), so I go into her room. She’s totally wide awake, so I carry her back to our room. She lays with us (Ryan has woken up now, too) for approximately 3 minutes and 11 seconds before remembering she got a new Minnie Mouse ball yesterday and needs it—now.

6:50 a.m.: We are joined minutes later by Asher, who asks if he and Bub can “wake up now.” I ask where Reed is. “Well, he’s still asleep.” Sure, you can wake up. 1 minute and 29 seconds later, Reed comes in, too. We are all snuggling in bed together and I love it.

7:05 a.m.: Ryan needs to get up to get ready for work, so I send the boys to go work on their room (it’s a disaster and they ran out of time to clean it yesterday) and head downstairs to attempt yoga. Lila, of course, accompanies me. I love yoga but, because of a random knee injury (pulled ligament), I haven’t been able to do any exercises involving my knees for about 6 weeks. No, that doesn’t leave a lot of exercises I can do. This yoga attempt is my first since the injury, which is still in recovery mode. Anyway, the first 15 minutes go well, then I take a brief break to pray with Ryan and the kids before he leaves to work. I’m back at it quickly, but have to end early when I feel my knee starting to complain. Last time I pushed too hard I couldn’t walk the next day!

7:25 a.m.: I put together some breakfast with my ever diligent sidekick, Lila. We make our new favorite, fruit and yogurt parfaits, accompanied by cinnamon toast. While we were in Idaho, the boys were introduced to granola and LOVED it. Then, on our drive home, I introduced them to McDonald’s fruit and yogurt parfaits. More love. We call the boys down and we all eat. When I’m finished, I work on cleaning up the kitchen while the kids finish. (Side note: if the dishwasher were full of clean dishes, it would be the boys’ job to unload it after they finished breakfast.)

8:00 a.m.: Lila has decided she’s done, which has been her debate with herself for the past 10 minutes or so. The boys have realized they never did their Dadvent (what?!), so they go find what Ryan has left for them (a book and stickers), then they are back to cleaning their room. I start my Tuesday job: bathrooms. Lila wants to help “teen teen” (clean clean), so I give her the clean scrub brush and spray bottle of water I’ve reserved just for her and let her go to town on the bathtub. We work our way through the boys’ bathroom and part of my bathroom before I glance at the clock and realize it’s time to get ready to go. I call to the boys to get dressed, then dress Lila and myself. Well, I kind of dress myself. I change from my baggy gym shorts and tattered t-shirt into more presentable looking exercise attire. Yes, I drop him off at school in exercise clothes for the first time, ever. I still had so much cleaning to do and I didn’t want to get dressed only to come home, change, clean, and shower, so I sucked it up and went in workout clothes. Cute-ish workout clothes. We all brush teeth, gather shoes, and hop into the car. We pull up to Reed’s school 10 minutes before the bell rings, but it’s so ridiculously windy outside that we take refuge in the car until we absolutely have to walk up to the school.

9:10 a.m.: Asher, Lila, and I are back at home. I resume my cleaning and finish off my bathroom.

9:25 a.m.: Time to take Asher to school. No, the timing between their two drop-offs isn’t ideal. We could take Asher to school directly after we take Reed, but then we’d be sitting in the car for 20 minutes waiting for school to start. Anyway, we drop Asher off then come home, where I finally finish cleaning the bathrooms. Hallelujah. Next, I cut the box tops off the 20 boxes of cereal and 5 bags of granola I found at the dollar store (5 cents an ounce for cereal. This is crazy talk!). Lila bags the box tops for me, then decides she NEEDS to taste the granola. I give her a little cup of granola, then “putter”—I bag and freeze three brown bananas to be used later, then on a whim slice the two remaining almost brown bananas and freeze the slices—I’ve heard frozen bananas make a tasty snack. I put a few random misplaced items away. Lila still isn’t done, so I decide to organize the drawer where Ryan keeps his keys and I keep random things that don’t have a good home. In the drawer, I find three visa gift cards! I call and they’re all unused. $250 total. Woot woot!

She stole a banana and was seized by the desire to show me.
10:10 a.m.: Lila comes over to tell me she’s done. By done she means she’s spilled the rest of her granola all over the counter and floor. Sweeping commences. Lila grabs a towel and says, “Lila teen up!” She lays the towel on the floor, then uses her feet to push the towel around while saying, “Dry dry!” When “we” finish cleaning up, we head to Lila’s room to put her laundry away. Putting laundry into drawer’s is Lila’s favorite helper job. After we finish, I finally get the chance to take a shower! I don’t plan on having Lila come in with me, but she is SO pumped at even the mention of the word shower that I cave.

11:00 a.m.: After we are showered and dressed, Lila decides we should play in Asher’s room. I’m not sure what the draw is, but we do find her Minnie puzzle in there and pass a companionable 20 minutes or so playing until it’s time to leave to pick the boys up. 

11:30 a.m.: We pick the boys up. First is Asher, then Reed. The school report: they both had good days. Asher got to do a baking soda volcano three different times with three different colors of lava. They had carrots for their snack and he actually ate them. Hashtag miracle. Reed got to read a math book with his friend Anthony for their center today. They've been reading this big math book together every day for almost two weeks now--super cute. 

12:30 p.m.: We've made it home and are eating lunch--once again prepared with help from Lila. I generally let them choose what they want for the main portion of their lunch, then give them an option or two to go with whatever they've chosen. Today, the boys are having quesadillas and Lila is having oatmeal. They are all having grapes to go along with their lunch. I'm having mashed potatoes and broccoli with my lunch. After we finish and clean up, I quickly re-pot Asher's seedling that has gotten too big for it's current pot.

Why won't they take a smiling picture?
1:00 p.m.: Lila's nap time. We read books, then cuddle in her bed. She, as always, requests, "Drinkie wa wa? Sit up? Two hands?" multiple times. I give her a few drinks from her water bottle, then cut her off. Surprisingly, after a few minutes of cuddles, she tells me, "Mommy out." Usually she begs me, "Mommy stay cuddle" when I get up to leave! Anyway, I go out, ask the boys to finish up cleaning their room then play together, and call my sister Kayla. We've been playing phone tag all day. She has a random grammar question for me, which we discuss for a few minutes, then we end up talking about her wedding plans and life and having kids for the next half hour or so. 

1:45 p.m.: I'm off the phone with Kayla, so it's time for Mommy + Buddy time. Asher has a meltdown when he realizes it's not his turn to go first. Reed and I get him calmed down by giving him a few fun ideas for his quiet time, then head downstairs and peruse pinterest forever because he really wants to make a craft but just cannot decide what would be best to make. Eventually, he decides on playing with pipe cleaners and straws. I must say that this activity is surprisingly awesome. And kind of therapeutic. We both have a great time.

2:40 p.m.: Mommy + Ashie time commences. We decide to make a flextangle. We had fun coloring together and the project actually worked, so I'm calling that a win. After we are done, we play with the straws and pipe cleaners for a while (my idea :). Reed comes downstairs for help with his flextangle--we'd sent him up with his own to color--and we help him put it together. Next we clean up, then Asher and I start to make a dinner plan. I generally decide what we are having for dinner in the morning (I have a list of all the meals I've grocery shopped for and choose whatever sounds best/works with our time schedule that day), but I've been off my game the past few days. Anyway, I'm leaning toward making Honey Glazed Chicken, but Asher talks me into pancakes. It's the last day of busy season and I'm exhausted, so easily swayed. We do decide to try something new by making apple cinnamon pancakes instead of our regular standby.

4:00 p.m.: "MOMMMMMMMMMYYYYY!!" There's Lila. This was an abnormally long nap for her, which was a nice surprise. Usually she naps 1.5-2 hours. Anyway, Asher runs up to "get her"--meaning tell her I'm on my way--and when I make it upstairs we all pile into her bed to cuddle for a little bit. She is a very grumpy, very groggy waker upper, so we usually try to chill for a little bit together to let her warm up to life again. When she is ready to go out, we all go down and do teamwork to put away the tent set up in the living room (one of our Dadvents), then pick up the toys in the living room. On a trip upstairs, I decide to quickly laminate flash cards Reed's teacher emailed. The problems are so ridiculously easy for Reed (addition and subtraction with numbers 0-5), that I add harder problems to the back. I assign the boys to cut the cards out, which they do. Then the boys settle into Phineas and Ferb while I--and, you guessed it, Lila--start to work on dinner.

Before we went downstairs post nap, Lila grabbed the essentials: princess wand, bracelet, and a Little People chair. She decided the chair was a potty...
Then said, "Lila pee pee out!" and pretended to get her pee pee out on the potty. Awesome.
5:15 p.m.: Phineas and Ferb is over and dinner is ready. Lila and Asher have cottage cheese with their pancakes; Reed has applesauce. The pancakes are super yummy--the recipe didn't lie, they were *quite* fluffy. I like the cooked apples on top, but next time I'd make our favorite cinnamon syrup instead of the syrup in the recipe. The kids decide to try mixing their apples into their "side dishes" and joy abounds. When we're finished, the boys load the dishes into the dishwasher while I wash the things I don't run through the dishwasher (pots/pans, anything wooden, our nice knives, cutting boards...) 

5:45 p.m.: Bath time. Now, I must admit that while the children love bath time, it's not my favorite. There are always fights about who gets to go into the shower--we've implemented a rotating system where one boy is in the shower and one is in the bath with Lila, then we trade--power struggles over the more prized toys--they all love the empty shampoo bottles--and so. Much. Water. Everywhere. But we make it through, then I slather them in lotion (eczema watch out), we brush teeth, and put on jammies. Asher and Lila decide to match. Reed, per usual, just wears underwear. 

6:40 p.m.: We read a few stories and scriptures in the Friend magazine for our scripture study. We try to call Ryan, but he's not answering. And it's time for Lila to go to bed! She wants Asher to read to her, so he does, then she climbs up to cuddle with me. We lay together for a while--well, I lay while she rolls all over the place and tries to decide if I'm more comfortable than her pillow--then I kiss her, tuck her in, and go to the boys. They take turns reading their books: Reed reads us a chapter of Mummies in the Morning (Magic Treehouse #3), then Asher tries to read the new chapter book Ryan gave them for the Dadvent. It's too tricky, so he decides to switch off reading pages of Bones with me instead (a beginner chapter book). Really, Bones is too hard, too, and he gets frustrated, but I keep encouraging him and letting him read a few sentences at a time. He expects to be as good at reading as Reed is and gets frustrated quickly. He is GREAT at Bob books and getting really good at pre-primers, too, but just wants to move ahead too quickly! Anyway, after we read, the boys say their prayers, then we all climb into Reed's bed to cuddle. We talk about the best parts of their days (they both decide that school was their favorite thing of the day), then Asher asks me to go out. He, unlike Lila, always asks me to go out. He only likes to cuddle for about the length of one song.

7:40 p.m.: Everyone is in bed! I pull out the ironing board for my weekly ironing pile and fire up a conference talk. I've been working my way through the Saturday sessions of conference, listening to all I missed. The ironing is completed in record time, so I finish the talk then go downstairs to write my weekly notes. I try to choose a primary child each week to write a note to--usually someone I've talked to at church or who was being particularly reverent during sharing time. I also write a birthday note to a less-active boy, and my monthly visiting teaching card (I have one sister I'm assigned to who I'm not able to visit). I used to never send anything in the mail and now I do all the time. I kind of love it. 

8:40 p.m.: My phone keeps vibrating with texts while I write my notes and, when I'm finished, I open my phone to find 12 missed texts. No joke. A group text party from my family, discussing the temple to help my sister on an upcoming lesson she's preparing. I add my two cents and am surprised when an incoming call comes in. I'm even more surprised when it's Ryan! And he's on his way home!!!!! What?! I seriously can't remember the last time he was coming home so early on a weeknight. It's our routine to talk on his way home, generally no matter how late, so we talk we he drives. He decides to stop at the store to pick up a really cool surprise for his last dadvent. Since I know he's on his way home now, I sit down to start writing this blog post.

9:45 p.m.: Ryan is home! Craziness. We put together the scavenger hunt for his last Dadvent, then go to our room and watch hilarious Jimmy Fallon clips for a while. I'm falling asleep and realize it's already 11:00 p.m. We pray, I set my alarm clock, and fall asleep within minutes to the show Ryan has started...

Phew! If anyone (including my future self) read this entire post, I'm impressed. This day was a pretty average one for us, with just a few exceptions: when it's not busy season, Ryan is home between 4:45-5:30, depending on when he gets into his office in the morning; and if I'm running errands, they generally happen while Reed is at school or, if I'm desperate, between Lila's nap and dinner. The end!


kayla said...

I LOVED reading this. You could literally post about your life every day and I would just eat it up. I love you!

Mandi Rolfe said...

I couldn't help but read through the whole thing. I just kept reading. You are one awesome mama!!