Thursday, March 30, 2017

Today

1. I knew today was insanely windy just by walking outside--and that fact was confirmed when, right before we left to pick the boys up from the bus stop, my phone lit up with a weather alert: High wind and dust storm in effect until 11 pm, avoid traveling. Winds gusting to around 60 MPH late afternoon. (!!!) Luckily, our "travel" was limited and once we were all safely ensconced in the house the only sign of the wind was the rattling windows and the roaring outside.

2. Lila wanted to read in the hammock. This was pre-wind warning, so I went for it even though it really was crazy windy. We had a good time and she even gave me some good cuddles. I did feel pretty bad this afternoon, though, when her eyes and cheeks were red and puffy even after allergy medicine. Sometimes I'm torn between keeping her inside to avoid allergy problems and just letting her enjoy the outdoors. Her allergies are ever-present at this time of year, even when we DO stay indoor, so we usually end up just going outside and dealing with the consequences.

3. Yesterday, Lila and I were rock-a-byeing for her naptime. She was cuddled into my arm, facing away from me, and she just wanted me to rock her. I'm fairly positive she fell asleep for a few minutes, though I can't be sure because I couldn't see her face and even her awake breathing is currently loud because of her allergies--but I'm going to go ahead and say she was asleep. IN MY ARMS. It's been a while since that happened.

4. I read a blog post on The Small Seed, a faith blog that is run by several girls who went to my high school. Anyway, they had a mini series on lighting the fire of our kids' faith in regards to scripture study. I cam away from the series wanting to make our scripture study better, but not knowing exactly what to do. For starters, I'm just happy that we've been able to establish a consistent habit of reading scriptures every day. This is huge for us and we've done really well with reading scriptures as a family for a little over a year now. But some of the ideas on the blog just seemed so involved and--this sounds even worse typing it out than it did in my head--I knew that if it took a lot of extra effort, I wouldn't do it, and our scripture habit would fall by the wayside. I couldn't complicate things and I needed to find something that worked for us. The blog had simple ideas, too, but none seemed quite right. In the end, I pondered some of the ideas in the blog post as well as what has been most effective for us in the past. Here's the list I came up with:
*Boys need to have their scriptures and take turns reading
*Let Lila "read" at least once (we whisper in her ear and she repeats out loud)
*Try having Lila look at the pictures in our illustrated Book of Mormon instead of just having her scriptures
*Start with a song and a prayer
*Bear testimony every day
*Ask questions, clarify, summarize

I started implementing these things at the beginning of this week and did not notice a huge difference, but was happy with our scripture study overall. Then tonight, while we were reading Jarom 1:8,

And we multiplied exceedingly, and spread upon the face of the land, and became exceedingly rich in gold, and in silver, and in precious things, and in fine workmanship of wood, in buildings, and in machinery, and also in iron and copper, and brass and steel, making all manner of tools of every kind to till the ground, and weapons of war—yea, the sharp pointed arrow, and the quiver, and the dart, and the javelin, and all preparations for war.

Reed started asking a slew of questions. Is this the Nephites making weapons? Why were they making weapons of war? Does that mean they were wicked? Why does it say machinery? Would they have even had machines? What kind?

Then, after discussing all his questions, which was really fun, he said, "Have you noticed that whenever they are prospering and like doing really good that they get wicked again?" And YES, I had. And I was so pumped that he had, too.

Asher at this point was dying because he'd been reading when Reed started asking questions and every time he started reading again Reed came up with yet another question. And then when Reed was all questioned out, Lila interjected, "Mommy? You know that thing you just said? Can you say it all again?" I summarized, and then she wanted a story. Um, the scriptures ARE the story baby girl. Asher was happy to get back to his turn reading.

5. And speaking of Asher reading, Asher took an accelerated reader quiz today and got 10/10! Only a very small handful of kindergartners get to do AR and we are blessed that he is one of them. He often misses a question or two, especially on the longer tests, and getting 100% was a great boost for him.

6. Speaking of Accelerated Reader, Reed has 300 points. THIS SCHOOL YEAR. I'm not even joking.

No comments: